[Public-List] Two things I learned in my late launch

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Fri Jun 21 10:13:12 PDT 2013

Hello,

Two things I never experienced or noticed in previous years:

(1) I replaced the chainplate bolts with 5/16" shanked bolts many years
ago. I visually "inspected" them every year. This year, I went to see if
the nuts were tight when one of the shroud chainplates showed a small
gap to the bulkhead. Particularly on the 6 chainplates for the shrouds,
some of the bolts were as much as _2 turns_ from fully tight. There were
plenty of threads sticking through the nuts and they "looked" fine, but
tightness should be checked. Backstay nuts similarly loose, forepeak
nuts only turned a fraction of a turn, not really loose. All had lock
washers.

(2) When the A-4 engine stopped running twice after a few minutes each
time, the second time after rapping on the float bowl, I assumed it was
the float or the pump. Tracing through the fuel system, it turned out
that last year's Racor water separator was plugged. I had ordered a new
one, but it had not arrived yet.

--Dan S.
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Ithaca, NY, Cayuga Lake

dans at stmktg.com
mobile: +1607-592-8012

Strategic Marketing Associates
403 Highgate Road