[Public-List] Holding tank vent

Stephen Gwyn stephen.gwyn at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Mar 5 11:46:50 PST 2013

Hi,

I have my vents up in the bow like George's. They're
about 8 inches below the rail.

I have vents sort of like these (except all plastic):
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=112766
with the openings angled aft.

I've been in done some fairly exciting sailing, and never
detected any water getting in to the tank. If any got in,
it wasn't enough to cause trouble.

In general, I can't remember ever taking significant amounts of water over
the bow. Changing to a small jib heading into nasty wind-over-tide waves,
I've been splashed, but that's about it. I've never buried the nose of the
boat in green water, which would be pretty much the only way to get water
into the holding tank vents.

The rail goes under on a regular basis however, which is why I didn't
vent the tank to the deck, or to the sides near the tank.

SG