[Public-List] holding tank vent

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Thu Mar 7 10:29:36 PST 2013

That's quite the impressive rise. I've got one of the under-sole,
integrel-to-liner holding tanks (which has fallen into disuse since the
installation of a composting toilet), and remember that it didn't
require that tall a sewage column up the vent and pump-out hoses to get
the tank (and sole) to bulge visibly.

In fact, I can remember one time that I went to pump out, and kept
getting nothing into the pump-out machine, and just losing pressure. Now
the machine was a touch leaky under suction (fortunately this just meant
that air seeped in, rather than anything seeping out), so I figured that
there was perhaps a slight clog in my pump-out hose. I also figured that
maybe I could dislodge it and force it through by flushing a few more
strokes into the holding tank to build up back pressure in addition to
the suction. A half-dozen strokes or so into trying this, I discovered
that the problem was actually that the pump-out hose had disconnected
from the deck fitting (and I'll leave it to you to infer just how I
found that out)...

Cheers,
Kris

Kris Coward					http://unripe.melon.org/