[Public-List] Holding tank vent

John Riley jriley at dsbscience.com
Tue Mar 5 09:56:35 PST 2013

Hi Glenn, I think so.

I have looked at a LOT of boats in the marinas and boat yards and most
of them have far more "openings" in the hull than an A-30, even with two
vent lines led to the bow (which is not really unusual). If water
intrusion were a problem, I doubt we'd see it so much.

As a friend of mine likes to say about some of these, "That's not a
boat!  That's a colander!"

To my knowledge, we've never had water come aboard the vent lines. We've
sailed offshore.  We've been in 12 ft breakers (inlet passage).  My only
point in bringing it up was that before I did it, I did share the
concern.  My mind was laid to rest by the answer, made astutely by Mike
and George, is that if somehow some did come aboard through the
vents...it merely goes into the tank, so no biggie.

I have a tendency to overthink things - especially before drilling holes
in my hull - and in this case, Mike and George's common sense
prevailed.  I'm much happier about having a well ventilated holding tank
that has served us free of odors and have never, in practice, noticed
the kind of problem I was "worried" about before hand.

John

--
John S. Riley
S/V Gaelic Sea