[Public-List] Exterior wood finish?

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Nov 25 05:38:56 PST 2013

Hello Glenn

Epoxy is a great way to seal wood; but it will complicate the inevitable stripping job you'll eventually have to face.

I epoxied a mast once reasoning that the soft spruce would benefit from being hardened    I wanted to make my varnish job more proof against dings made by shackles etc that would let in water and make black spots in the wood.  Many years later when I was stripping that mast I wasn't happy about having to cope with the epoxy.

The best way to seal wood from water intrusion is by means of heavily thinned varnish.    Thinned 50/50 with solvent, it will be as thin as water and really get into the wood.  It's a terrific wood sealer.

And about the coamings... I agree, there should be no reason to cut bolts...if the heads are plugged (mine aren't) just pick out the plugs with an awl and spin them out    You will need to hold the nut on the inside of course.

Gord #426 Surprise