[Public-List] restoration items

matt strickland matthew_strickland at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 4 12:20:11 PDT 2013

Well, I've started in on my project to get #416 back in the water and have a couple jobs on which I was hoping to get some advice.

Number one is the bilge.  I'm sure that everyone has had experiences pulling all kinds of stuff out of their bilges, but as I look down into the water/oil/god-only-knows-what stew down there, I find myself asking "wait, she's up on the hard, why can't I drain this out?" so I'm wondering if anyone has had experience installing a garboard drain?  Is there an ideal spot to locate it?  What landmarks on the boat are reliable from which to measure where it should go?

Number two is the spreaders.  They are wood and look to be in need of replacement.  I'm going to take the mast down so that I can inspect everything from top to bottom, and also redrill the chainplates while I'm at it.  But does anyone have a good line on a place to get replacements in the Annapolis area?  I'm not adverse to going to with aluminum as a replacement, but also have no problem staying with wood.  Right now my restoration budget is really tight so whatever is going to be simplest and most cost-effective is probably the way I'll go on this item.

I've got plenty more things to ask about, but I figure I'll start with these two and move to the rest as I get to them.  I've been looking through the archives of the mailing list and gotten a lot of great information already, so I can tell that this community is going to be great to be a part of.

Thanks,

Matt
#416 - TBD (still)