[Public-List] Old Hickory

isobar at verizon.net isobar at verizon.net
Sat Oct 5 20:52:32 PDT 2013

    Michael... I agree that wood spreaders are fine and Isobar's original
   white oak spreaders  were in great shape after 45 years with only the
   white paint on top trick. I wonder, though, to gild the lily, if
   hickory would be an even better choice if you have to replace them.
   I've done a lot of woodworking with both furniture and construction
   woods, but never hickory - that shows my lack of expertise in what I'm
   talking about. But hickory seems an ideal wood for spreaders: tough,
   strong, and resilient. Better than oak those ways. Old Hickory wasn't
   named that because of his suaveness. (My first golf clubs were hickory:
   driver, mashie, spoon, etc)
   The only knock on hickory (besides being tough to work) for marine use
   is is its lack of rot resistance, but that doesn't seem to be a problem
   with spreaders 40 feet above the surface.
   Bob Kirk