[Public-List] Factory installed wheel steering

isobar at verizon.net isobar at verizon.net
Thu Oct 3 06:51:30 PDT 2013

   Gord... Yes, it's wonderful to see the de-amalgamation and return to
   tradition. Back in the '70s, on a naval staff, I went to several NATO
   meetings in the Frozen North on meteorological coordination (isobars,
   you know). Our, then CF, counterparts* were old salts and obviously
   uncomfortable with the new arrangement, but they did receive a
   dispensation which allowed them to call themselves Commander, etc when
   dealing with we foreigners 'to avoid confusion'... Bob (ex-Isobar 181)
      * Sea story: Our German counterpart was a civilian but ex WW2
   Kriegsmarine officer. He had the distinction of being a meteoroligist
   on a submarine! (He launched weather balloons for the German
   forecasters in France.) He also had the distinction of being on the
   only German submarine actually captured by the US, not sunk. Wound up a
   POW down South. The US worked the enlisted prisoners (Bridge Over the
   River Kwai) but, of course, not the officers, which bored him doing
   nothing. After VE Day they started to let the officers work. When a US
   sergeant asked if anyone was a 'spotter' he volunteered. Turns out
   'spotting' was daubing various chemicals on stain spots in the base
   laundry. He didn't have the faintest idea of what chemicaly to use, so
   he got his revenge, in a way. He later hosted our meeting in Hamburg
   and was a champion beer drinker and pub crawl leader.