[Public-List] Spreader Material

David Gilbert bigkanu at rogers.com
Mon Oct 7 12:00:08 PDT 2013

My Club, ABYC in Toronto, is moving towards a mast up haul out for
certain larger vessels. I will not take advantage of this because
dismasting an Alberg 30 is very easy given the right equipment and
people. ABYC is a self help Club and sports both. I loosen the rig,
replace the locking rings on the clevis pins with a length of copper
wire, very easy to remove. Then take the clevis pins out of the
forward and aft lowers and let them hang loose; move to the mast crane
area. Put the straps around the mast and lift to just below the
spreaders. Good idea to have a secure line pulling down on the strap
and secured at the base of the mast. Remove the footing bolt, ensure
the strap now has the weight of the mast. Remove the four cardinal
uppers, lift the mast and it's done. The copper wire/clevis pin method
beats turning off turnbuckles by several minutes.
When we had the boat in Prinyer's Cove for 7 years we never took the
mast down. Conventional wisdom says to always take it down to inspect
the swaged fittings. I asked Bruce Burgess at the rigging Shoppe about
this and he told me that the only way you can identify weaknesses in
the swaging is by Xray. So it stayed up. Of course I have aluminum
spreaders but, if they were wood I would want to inspect them every
year.
David