[Public-List] Stuffing box in earlier Albergs

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 06:09:12 PDT 2013

On my boat, #116 I lay a blanket over the engine, and stick my torso
through the opening between the engine and the cockpit floor to reach
the stuffing box. Lots of swearing and bruises are part of the deal.

I did discover that changing the packing while in the water is no big
deal though. Water comes in, but not very fast. Bilge pumps can easily
handle it. I changed my packing to the fancy square shaped PTFE stuff
shown here and haven't touched it since.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box&page=2

jeff

Jeffrey Fongemie

Seagrass