[Public-List] Mast beam almost finished!

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 05:05:35 PDT 2013

John,

It took more work with the grinder to remove the old tabbing, which I
just sort of slid into as my choice of tools escalated. I had a heck
of a clean up afterwards and wish that I'd hung tarps & had a vacuum
set up for the process.

I also made the mistake of adding some "slope" to the top of the beam
to the same angle as the old beam. Turns out that I didn't need the
angle, the cabin roof is as flat as it looks (fore-aft)..so I ended up
sanding the beam top surface back to flat, or nearly so. That mistake
increased the gap between the new beam bottom and the vertical support
posts. In the end, the gap didn't matter since I would have needed to
add some wood shims. It would be some good carpentry skills to cut the
posts back exactly.

I'd been dreading this for a few years. In the end, it wasn't a bad job at all.

jeff

Jeffrey Fongemie

Seagrass
Alberg 30 #116