[Public-List] Mast Sheave

David Gilbert bigkanu at rogers.com
Mon Oct 28 07:21:43 PDT 2013

Gord, You are correct. I was in the shop when Bruce was trying to sell
it. He knew I was a banker and he was complaining to me that there
were lots of interested buyers out there but none had any money and
they all wanted him to take back paper. My advice was not to touch it.
Carolyn was there at the time listening in to the conversation so I
said, "if you have to take back paper, sell it to her," and I pointed
at Carolyn. She immediately responded, "that's what I keep telling
him." She is doing a great job.
David
On 28-Oct-13, at 10:06 AM, Gordon Laco wrote:

> They're very nice and knowledgeable people.  Bruce's daughter
> Carolyn runs
> the show there now, and with the same professionalism as her father
> did.
>
> Hi David!

> On 28/10/13 10:04 AM, "David Gilbert" <bigkanu at rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> Big Kanu has wire to rope halyards and when the problem first
>> occurred
>> I reported it to Bruce Burgess of the Rigging Shoppe here in Toronto.
>> The mast was going in for some other purpose and he simply places a
>> small aluminum strap across the opening very near the top of the
>> mast.
>> The problem has never reoccurred.
>> David. Big Kanu ABYC.
>> On 27-Oct-13, at 10:12 PM, Dwayne Back wrote:
>>
>>> Toward the end of the season the main's halyard became wedged
>>> between the sheave and the mast preventing me from dropping the
>>> main.  Unfortunately in the time I was able to address the issue the
>>> main sail was significantly damaged by wind.  Apparently the halyard
>>> slipped beside the sheave wheel and wedged in between the wheel and
>>> mast.  Looking at the mast there is plates that seem to direct the
>>> halyard line to the wheel with screw holes indicating possible
>>> guides which I am lacking.  I am curious as to whether anyone else
>>> has had this issue and the appropriate correction as I am likely
>>> going to have to buy a new main and obviously I do not want a repeat
>>> occurrence.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Dwayne
>>> 94 Orion