[Public-List] Rope main halyard?

Bill Wallace wayfarer3134 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 28 13:57:48 PDT 2013

I'm sure 10mm would also work.  The thing for me is that I did it without unstepping the mast.  If the mast were down or I were at the top of the mast, I could have reeved a bigger line, but getting the splice through was actually the hard bit.  I really didn't want to climb the mast or drop it so I pulled a 1/4 line through replacing the wire, then spliced that as the core in the first 6" of the replacement halyard and smooth the transition with tape to ensure it passed the block.  A bit tight and fiddly but I did manage it that way.

Bill.