[Public-List] Hiking seat

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Sep 25 11:53:39 PDT 2013

I like to perch on the coaming while sailing.  I have been thinking of
making an improvement that might go something like this...

I am thinking of removing the primary and secondary winches from the molded
winch pads.  I'll then make a mahogany plank shaped so that it follows the
top flat profile of the winch pads, and has a connecting piece about 2"
wide.  I'll fit that to the winch pads and glue it to the coaming - the
result being that I'll have a narrow flat to sit on between the winches, and
the winches themselves will be re-bolted on top of the new wood.

I think it'll look nice, and make it a little nicer to perch on the coaming.

I've been thinking about this for quite some time.  Maybe I'll do it next
spring.

Gord #426 Surprise

On 25/09/13 2:15 PM, "Bill Boyle" <wpb1210 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I¹ve been sailing my A30 now for the past summer.  Mainly day trips out of the
> Magathy and around the bay.     My roots in sailing go back to dingys and that
> meant hiking out and/or sitting on the rail using a hiking stick on the
> tiller.    I tried to do that on this boat but the coaming is quite hard on
> the butt!  I¹ve looked at the pictures on the A30 site and tried to see if
> anyone had solved the problem.  I saw a few attempts but I was not satisfied
> with just a flat board attached to the coaming.  Does anyone have a solution
> for comfortably sitting on the rail as a sailing position?   If anyone has a
> picture of what they have done I would appreciate a copy at my email address.
> wpb1210 at yahoo.com

Thanks,

Bill
> Boyle