[Public-List] Rudder Stuffing Box Repair

Anders Bro via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Dec 2 16:53:57 PST 2014

I have often used a fine jeweller’s file to touch up threads, but there
is an even better file available from machinist supply houses which is a
"thread file". It has a square cross section, and each side has a
different pitch that fits common thread sizes. Just look up thread file
on your favourite web search engine. The adjacent threads help guide the
repair of the dinged up ones. It really is a much handier way of doing
it that with the triangular file, and just maybe would work. I like the
approach of using the split die, But I have tried using nuts to try and
chase threads, and it usually does not work that well. The metal that
you are removing needs a place to go. So if you wanted to chase the
threads with a steel nut-like arrangement, you might need to file some
groves axially down the interior of the nut (split or otherwise) to
develop some cutting teeth and again a place for those bronze ships to
move into. It might be possible for the steel die to "cold form" the
bronze threads back into their proper place, but I am not so sure that
approach would work. It usually takes quite a bit of force to
plastically deform the metal.
Anders