[Public-List] leadership afloat

gordon white gewhite at crosslink.net
Fri Feb 14 09:48:51 PST 2014

    I find that the skipper needs to take into account the concerns of
those aboard with less experience, to the point that a panicked crew
member/passenger, even if that panic is badly misplaced, can not only
make the experience unpleasant for them, but for everyone on board, be
that two or four or whatever.

     And the crewmember who does not understand the whole situation may
on the other hand be over-confident.

     Last season we were on our way into an anchorage in a Chesapeake
Bay creek, beating into an increasing wind that put us on a lee shore.
Eventually we had to drop sail and motor hard into the wind and chop. My
passenger thought it was great fun, but I realized that if the engine
failed - and the diesel faltered once until I switched fuel tanks -
probably some gunk had been stirred up in the first tank - we would be
in real trouble. Maybe a hastily dropped anchor would hold, but it would
at the least have been unpleasant, with darkness coming on. I exuded
confidence as best I could, but was calculating whether if the engine
quit we could run out the roller-furl jib and bear away well enough not
to go ashore. - in the face of "isn't this fun" from my crew.

     The engine ran just fine after switching tanks and we got in to our
anchorage in good shape and I was relieved.

  - Gordon White, Brigadoon II