[Public-List] Main Halyard.

Don Campbell dk.campbell at xplornet.ca
Fri Feb 21 15:18:43 PST 2014

Hi Bobby:
     Most are for the change but I would offer some opposition. It
depends upon what you do on your boat and how much money you want to put
into line and the change,  and how much you value sail shape for a
reasonable cost. Check out the prices and stretch of the line that you
think you want to buy for a halyard. You will need about a bit more than
70 feet if you use a winch on the mast and about 10 feet more if you
lead it back to the cabin top. If you have 3% stretch on that line, (3
feet in 100 or 1 foot in 33'),  then you will have about 12" of stretch
when cleted on the mast  and almost 16" when cleted to the cabin top. If
that amount of stretch is OK for sail shape differences, then go ahead,
otherwise consider staying with wire which does not stretch that much.
UV does not do much to wire and it does age line. Personally I think
halyards with 1% stretch are too expensive, and any more than 1% is not
good enough to maintain sail shape. I have had the main halyard last
more than 15 years and am sure I would have replaced line halyards in
that time due to UV wear and chafing from use. As it is , I have rope
tails and have replaced them but there is no stretch below the winch,
and even if there were it would be on less than 1' of line. I can cope
with up to 10% there.
Don