[Public-List] Reinforcing the cockpit sole

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Feb 23 08:40:26 PST 2014

Stephen,

On 2/21/14, 2:59 PM, Stephen Gwyn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have small cracks in the gel coat at corners where the cockpit sole
> meets the sides of the cockpit. These are clearly caused by the sole
> flexing. The worst is when my 4 year old son jumps from the cockpit
> seats on the floor.
>
> I'm think of some beams attached to the bottom of the sole
> inside the engine compartment. Has anybody done this?

If you just want to make the cockpit sole more rigid, you could create
fiberglass channels by lengthwise folding a narrow length of cardboard
into a "V" and glassing it to the underside of the sole. I suspect
you're going to get some gelcoat cracks in the corners no matter what
you do, as the gelcoat is quite brittle and has little strength.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org