[Public-List] Reinforcing the cockpit sole

Glenn brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Mon Feb 24 15:17:15 PST 2014

Hi all,  I replaced my cockpit also similar
In method to what George did. Main difference was I cut my cockpit soul out completely and replaced it with a new prefab Foamcore and FG  piece that fit the dimensions of the cocpit less 1/4" each side. I built the sole in my warm garage with glassed 11/2" x 1" half round foam ribs bottom side of the sole and covered top and bottom with five layers mat and roving.  With 1/2" foam core this was more than strong enuf and turned out I really didn't need the reinforcing ribs as the primary strength of the glassed on sole is the thickness imparted by the foam core and layers of mat and roving. Also the foam core is Impervious to water absorption so no future worries about delamination.

I found It's impossible to properly glass upside down all around the underside of the sole so fiber glassed a 2" lip around the vertical sides of the cockpit to support the new prefab sole and then bedded the sole onto the lip with structural fiberglass putty and tabbed the bottom side where ever I could reach.  Top sides of the sole glassed in with four or five layers of mat and tape. Finished smooth and painted.  Also built a 20 x 18" hatch for rear engine access, and cut an 8" inspection hatch for rudder tube maintenance in the prefab piece.  Overall strong as can be- no stress cracks or movement.  Plus gained a lot of usable and easy access to rear of engine and exhaust system.

I opted not to use epoxy because of all the glass work. high grade resin was more than strong enough given the FG tabbing and thickness of the deck core.

Glenn
Dolce
318

Sent from my iPhone