[Public-List] Spinnaker pole

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sat Jan 25 12:16:53 PST 2014

Most One-Design classes limit pole length to the J measurement.... The
distance from the face of the mast to the point on the deck where the
forestay touches the deck.  You have to imagine the mast continues down
through the cabin so that you can make a right angle to start the 'J'
line....

Now, "why doesn't he just tell the poor guy that length?" one might ask....
I did know that length once and used it when I had my pole made... But I
forget what it is.

Gord #426 Surprise

PS (as usual) I'm just back in the house from shoveling tons of snow and ice
out of the ruin of Touch Wood's shed.  On closer inspection once I was back
from the boat show I found some significant damage to her; the new side
decks are smashed down (I was so proud of the lovely curves of her carlines
I was able to recapture...)

It looks like the snow load on the peaked roof pushed down and my inadequate
cross members let the walls splay outward.  In effect the peaked roof
inverted itself into the boat.  Luckily the coach roof and cabin sides
weren't on her yet, rather they're safe where they were laid under her.
Well, it could have been worse.

On 25/01/14 1:32 PM, "GregR" <gregr at nethere.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,

Just stepped the mast with all new wire, winches, chainplates,
> etc... The new masthead is setup so i can run spinnaker now. So, I am in the
> market for a spinnaker pole but don't know anything about them. The Victory21s
> I race are a non-spinnaker class.

Are there class rules that callout a length
> and if so what is it?

Thanks,

Greg
> Ayla