[Public-List] Fasteners, removing varnished in plugs

Michael Connolly via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Jul 1 15:19:53 PDT 2014

Brent,

I have a suggestion/trick for removing the plugs without damaging the adjacent wood surface. This also applies to oval or flat head fasteners holding any brightwork in place.  There is a set of tools made to bore holes thru cork stoppers and gasket material. Each individual tool is a thin walled tube with a beveled edge ground around the outside circumference of one end of the tube. These are managed by tapping them or twisting the tool thru the material you wish to have the hole.

I have found these especially helpful by selecting a size which will just match the size of the fastener head, or in your case, the size of the teak plug.  By carefully scoring the varnish around the plug or fastener prior to removal, one can eliminate the inevitable surface splintering of the wood surface adjacent to either the plug or fastener.

You can also make a tool by selecting a steel thin walled tube to match the outside diameter of what you plan to remove. Then use a file to 'sharpen' the outside circumference of the tube to a knife edge. The time you spend making and using this tool will prevent you from spoiling your brightwork.

I have had great results using this technique.  Try as you might otherwise and you will learn personally the heartbreak of ruining your brightwork's surface.

Take your time and good luck.

Michael #133