[Public-List] Rudder Shoe Replacement

James Allocco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Jul 8 08:34:41 PDT 2014

Fellow Albergers'

Thanks for the feedback concerning my stiff tiller movement.
I dove down to have a look but couldn't see a thing in the murky water. I
did notice play in both the prop shaft and rudder so I decided to have the
boat pulled.

As it had been awhile since I replaced the bearing I checked the archives
for info on replacing the cutlass bearing and rudder shoe.

To sum up the bearing replacement:

1. The Stern Post (bearing housing) is held on with 2 bolts and treaded
onto the Stern Tube.

2. After removing the upper and lower bolts it is best to have a helper
using a pipe wrench hold the Stern Tube from turning so as not to weaken
its connection to the caulk while unscrewing the Stern Post. It may be
necessary to apply heat to the Stern Post.

3. It may be necessary to drill out and retap the setscrew holes.

4. It may be necessary to use a hacksaw blade to cut the bearing for
removal. The bearing is a Morse Barracuda .875 x 1.375 x 3 1/2 that needs
to be cut to length.

5. Using the Stern Post a guide drill water vent holes is the bearing.

Questions: Is it advisable to caulk the Stern Tube treads prior to screwing
on the Stern Post?  Did I omit anything?

Rudder Shoe Replacement:

I couldn't find much info on the rudder shoe replacement and would
appreciate any advice someone has to offer.

Thanks,
Jim Allocco
Barchetta Mia 565