[Public-List] Life lines

Bill Newman via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Jul 8 13:27:18 PDT 2014

Hello Everyone,

I am looking at replacing the lifelines on  No. 233, plastic covered and at least 25 years old.  They seem to be sound excepting a couple of cracks in the plastic and having only been in fresh water.  I have been doing a little internet research and the current fashion seems to be stainless wire without the plastic covering, now required in some races such as the Lake Ontario 300 mile race and also there is a new type of rope which is non stretch, UV resistant and apparently very strong. The wire on boats I have seen is fairly skinny and looks like it would be very uncomfortable to handle.  Any opinions on the subject will be appreciated.

Regards,

Bill Newman
Marion Rose III, No. 233