[Public-List] A great sailing weekend

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Jul 14 07:42:52 PDT 2014

Good morning -

We had a great sailing weekend in SURPRISE these past two days.

We¹d planned to leave Friday afternoon but one of my historic ship clients
called just as I was laying down my pen (well shutting the computer) and
that kept me at work till the usual closing time.  I¹m pleased to have the
business of course and was glad to look after them, but skipping out early
was not possible after all.

So we cast off lines some time shortly after 1800, filled the fuel tank at
the marina next door then started motoring down Severn Sound.  We ate supper
in the cockpit while trudging along under power and in due course reached
the Minnicognashene Channel where we had to decide if we were going up the
inside passages and dropping the hook at Bone Island, or over to Methodist
Point (no more Methodists there) and anchoring where we¹d be better set up
for a dash up the outside.  The sun was setting but we chose outside...
Getting into Methodist in the dark isn¹t a problem and of course there was a
full moon coming.

So we altered course right at the entrance to The Pins at Minnicog, and
chugged along west.  On the way we saw the Canadian Coast Guard ship RISLEY
busy working on Indian Maid Rock buoy... That is an aid to nav that is
notoriously difficult to find sometimes and we said to each other ³we KNEW
they move it around!  There¹s the proof!²

We got to Methodist about sunset and dropped the hook into the clean sand in
12¹ of water.  I¹ve often thought these Georgian Bay anchorages were just
made for yachts ­ usually just the right depth, usually just the right
bottom.   We had an evening drink, watched the incredible moonrise, then
turned in.

I awoke early and gently woke up my crew (wife Caroline and son Rob) with
the churtling of the coffee percolator.   After a wonderful breakfast in the
cockpit looking up at Giant¹s Tomb Island and noting the RISLEY still at
anchor over by Indian Maid Rock, we hoisted the main, plucked up our anchor
then set the genny as SURPRISE¹s head fell off the wind.  As we glided out
of the anchorage we crossed the stern of a large Hunter forty-something with
davits on it¹s stern & an oxygen-tent cockpit enclosure... and received a
Œnice boat¹ compliment from the couple in it... I couldn¹t in all conscience
return the boat compliment but I did manage Œlovely morning¹ in return.

The wind was WNW so that gave us a nice close reach away.  In due course
Hope Island Light Station came about abeam, so Rob and I took bearings on
the top and bottom limbs of the Tomb aft to starboard, and a third portside
bearing on the light station¹s tower.  When plotted we found we were within
a hundred meters or so of where we were last July also heading north and
figuring to get a fix from which to set out into the Void.

The wind eventually failed, but carried us up to O¹Donnell Point by just
after lunch (sandwiches in the cockpit)   We fired up the loyal A4 and
motored in past the light tower, zigged and zagged through the channels up
to Double Island (which we call ŒBig Bum¹ because it looks like cheeks
rising out of the water)  then set our course in to find the red can guiding
to Wreck Island.

Oh we rejoiced when we found the anchorage there empty.  As we circled in
past the rocky reef inside the entrance, we saw a beautiful large black bear
on the island.  He ambled up the rocky shore, paused to stare at us, then
loped over the top.  Wonderful!

We just finished settling in when a very large power boat came idling into
the anchorage.  They had a stereo going and their engines were throwing
echoes off the rocks where the bear just was.   They cut close over our
anchor chain then backed themselves in between ourselves and the shore ­ not
50 meters away in the otherwise empty harbour.  They immediately dropped a
boat with a 50hp outboard on it into the water and started up their
generator.  Hard female laughter, the roar of the generator, and the
dribbling of the water from their air conditioning plant made us all stare
at each other.

A few hours later, after supper, I rowed over and asked them politely how
long they were going to be running their gen set.  They looked very offended
then with false smiles such as one would give an offensive visitor, told me
Œabout ninety minutes or two hours more¹.

I rowed the few strokes back over to SURPRISE and talked with Caroline and
Rob.  The span they offered would have them shutting off some time around
2000  (10pm) IF they were telling the truth about their intentions.

We hoisted anchor and moved over to the western lobe of the harbour.  We
could still hear the power boat¹s gen set, but they were not so close.  Once
settled in, I rowed over to the cottagers who have their wharf at that end
of the harbour.  I introduced myself and apologized for anchoring in front
of their place and explained why I moved.  They told me that sailors are
always welcome Œbecause you folks are quiet and don¹t leave a mess¹.
Wonderful.  I thanked them.

During the night squalls with heavy wind and rain blew through... I was up
several times thinking about our rather hurried re-anchoring but all was
well.  At 0600 I heard the power boat¹s gen set start up....  Oh what
inconsiderate people.  I¹m sure they have no idea how offensive they were,
in fact I am certain they thought I was offensive by asking about their
generator.  I said to Caroline and Rob Œrunning that equipment in such a
lovely place, so close when they didn¹t have to be so close, is like going
into a fine restaurant and farting!¹    But I¹m sure that would never occur
to them that¹s what they were doing.

So, here we were at Sunday morning.  The wind had settled in from the north
west and at a solid 15knts.  Perfect but for one thing... Pea soup fog.   We
decided to wait for it to clear which it started doing by 1130 so up came
our two hooks and away we went.  As soon as we started moving the fog closed
in again.... Well we went anyway.

On the way out the entrance we passed the flat barely surfaced rock there
and saw a martin (seemed large for a mink) having a lunch of crayfish...
True to his type he stood his ground glaring fiercely at us as we motored
past.  What a beautiful, bold, little animal.  Well to us he was beautiful;
to any creature about twice his size down, no doubt he¹s death on four legs.

We slowed to four knots and felt our way around to the red can...glad that
we¹d marked our courses on the chart before leaving.  Our luck was in and
the mist lifted as we motored to windward and Big Bum appeared ahead and the
whole area cleared.  Once up to Big Bum we uncorked the genny and began
reaching down the coast through the inside channels... Later we hoisted the
main too.

Below Split Rock we had a few open stretches and with the building wind
really started galloping.  We had a fantastic sail home in weather just made
for an Alberg 30.  We surged and surfed, galloped and drove hard all the way
down the coast.   What a great weekend.

Gord
#426 Surprise