[Public-List] Diesel fuel pump alternatives (Universal M3-20B)?

Randy Katz via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Jul 14 14:04:25 PDT 2014

Greetings-- Any diesel mechanics on our list?

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether or not it's possible to use a less
expensive, less powerful fuel pump of the same brand as that recommended by
the Universal/Westerbeke manufacturer. I'd like to carry a spare pump, just
in case. I can make a guess about this, but I'd love to hear from someone
who really KNOWS the ins and outs.

Details re: the recommended pump are below.

What should be requirements for a fuel pump that one should consider when
choosing one?

Given the very small engine size (3 cylinder, 20hp), is it necessary to
have a pump at 32 gph and 6-8 psi? Wouldn't one of the several less
powerful pumps made by the same company work just as well since the engine
burns ONE-TWO gallons/hour?

There are also "cube" style pumps that appear to have equal capacities as
the recommended "cylinder" style. Does it really matter what shape the pump
is?

The recommended pump is around $120-160, but other models that seem they
could work are half to a third that cost.

I'll try checking with our local Westerbeke distributor here in Seattle
(Gallery Marine), but I suspect they'll say you have to use the one the
company lists.

Many thanks for any replies!

Best Regards,

Randy Katz
#249 Simple Gifts
Bellingham/Seattle

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
*The recommended fuel pump is made by Facet:*
Manufacturer: Facet Pump
Part Number: 476459N  (N = individually packaged)
Highest quality dependable fuel lift and priming pump for most diesel
engines, heater systems, marine engines and generators. Universal pump for
most carburetor equipped applications.
May be used with diesel fuel, gasoline, or pure alcohol.
Easy to install via 2 bolt mounting system.
32 GPH
Port size is 1/8 NPT
74 Micron filter included
Nothing to adjust.
For best results mount pump close to the fuel tank, below the fuel level.
Pump is self priming to 24" vertical fuel lift. Only service required is
the occasional cleaning of the filter and fuel inlet cavity.
This pump is the appropriate replacement when properly installed for the
Universal 301385 and Westerbeke 24831.