[Public-List] Raced last night

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Jul 24 06:27:39 PDT 2014

Hello gang -

So, I made it back up to Midland yesterday in time to gather up my crew and
get out to race.  I¹d been in Toronto doing a seminar for the Nonsuch
Association who are having a week long jamboree at the Royal Canadian Yacht
Club.  It was work, but on the other hand I was able to indulge in a little
nostalgia; RCYC is where I first set foot on a sailing yacht, Alberg 30 #234
SURYA.  Memory puts a golden glow on places but RCYC is still I think a
pretty special place.

The seminars went well ­ I did Œhouse calls¹ on various Nonsuch¹s after my
talk (there were 40 of them gathered) then as soon as I could gracefully do
so ­ I caught the ferry back to the city and was on the highway heading
north to Midland.

After a hurried supper I met the crew at SURPRISE;  we¹re one man short with
my son Pete still away in France participating in the Atlantic Challenge
contest of seamanship being held there.  While motoring out we noticed one
of our main rivals, SUNDANCER, also short handed, actually only two on board
as the mob motored out to the start.  So this would be the first occasion
with the new genoa that we would cross swords with them.    Feeling full of
generous sportsmanship (and confidence) I suggested to my guys that since it
was likely they wouldn¹t use  their spinnaker, we might not as well.   Clint
(the Viking) muttered ³OK, but I think you¹re just chicken.  That¹s OK so
long as we¹re ahead but it¹s going up if they get by us!¹.  Steve, (the tall
guy),  said Œwhatever¹.

The wind was 10-12 knots, west with a bit of north in it, and solid.   As
usual, I said ³well there¹s no point in putting off the inevitable² which is
our way in SURPRISE of commencing hoisting the main.  We jointed the
Wednesday night fleet of 18 boats swinging to and fro waiting for the start.
The wind was still building.  We were telling each other Œthis is going to
be a good one¹.

A Fleet got away with the usual altercation between CANADIAN EXPRESS and
somebody ­ shouting, both aggressive and outraged responses are entertaining
if one is not involved.  B Fleet, with us in the thick of the mob, began
shaping for its start.  Somehow things worked out that we were charging
along in clear air with all the squabbling Sharks early and further down the
line when the horn went and we had about as good a start as one can get.
Our two main rivals, SUNDANCER and MAID MARION nicely behind.

The course was set as the good old Olympic Triangle ­ twice around with one
up and down ­ my favourite.  We led all through the first lap.   Being ahead
and not being particularly threatened, it was easy to remain Corinthian and
not hoist the chute.... But on the second time round we sailed into a hole
near the windward mark and boatspeed when from a thrashing 6knts to a
wandering 1.2 while we dealt with baffling shifts.  With the mark only a
couple hundred meters away we watched MAID MARION and SUNDANCER walk up to
us till all three were in close company when we finally got around.  We went
from half a leg ahead to fighting it out in heavy traffic.  What agony.

On the beat at the end of the second time round we had left SUNDANCER
behind, but MAID MARION was right with us.  We had several thrashing tacks,
them trying to break away and ourselves covering, when suddenly they shot up
into the wind and basically hove to.  We found out later they¹d had a winch
override jam a sheet.  Phew, we got away ahead.  Nearing the windward mark
the hole was there again and we foolishly sailed into it.  SUNDANCER
regained her proximity and the two of us rounded side by side.  We¹d
overtaken the trailing A Fleet boats, and we became entangled in the wind
shadow of one which allowed SUNDANCER to scoot past in clear air.... We
never caught them again.

At the finish we were steadily overtaking ­ Matt told me over beer afterward
that he could hear our bow wave crunching louder and louder behind him (but
he didn¹t look back).  Oh if only the leg had been longer, we might have
caught him.  As it was, we were overlapping his stern we crossed and the
committee gave us our horn right after his.

The solid WNW wind had filled in again and we all swept over the finish at
hull speed, gybed, then reached back to the club.  What a beautiful, romping
sail... everyone reaching as fast as they could go, fairly close and with
that solid wind powering us all.

A great night.  We didn¹t begrudge SUNDANCER their win one bit because it
was such a great battle.  And that¹s really what it¹s all about.   (Well,
maybe we¹ll get Œem next week....)

Gord
Surprise #426