[Public-List] Play in rudder post

George Dinwiddie via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Jul 16 10:18:36 PDT 2014

Wes

On 7/16/14, 11:26 AM, Wes Gardner via Public-List wrote:
> Het All,
>
> I just hauled my boat and of course there is ++some++ play! maybe an
> eighth of an inch. Seems with this I can wait a while?

While you've got it out, I would pull the rudder shoe off and take a
look. It's not that hard to do.
  1. 1/8" is a fair percentage of a half-inch pin
  2. It may not be the pin that's limiting the motion. The first time I
checked mine, the pin was *completely gone*. The bottom rudder post had
worn into the shoe, limiting the movement to ~3/16".

See http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/RudderShoe/ for more thoughts.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org