[Public-List] Dinghy for Alberg 30

Brian Zinser via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Jul 23 05:25:13 PDT 2014

I have an ELI 8' hard shell dinghy which I bought about 30 years ago
when I lived in Chicago and moored my former boat in a Chicago Park
District harbor. At the time, Chicago Park District had an 8' max length
restriction. When I sold my old boat and bought the Alberg I kept the
ELI much to my then teenage son's disapproval as he thought we should
get an inflatable.

In 30 years the only maintenance I have had to do is re-varnish the two
seats. I still looks new. I use Gel-Gloss on it every fall at the end of
the season. Normally tow the dinghy unless I am making a major crossing,
then it fits nicely tied down on the foredeck.

In May, I had the privilege of visiting James Baldwin's workshop with
Kirk Little in Brunswick, GA. James showed us his preferred dinghy (you
can build it yourself) for an Alberg. It is just 6'6" long. He has a
nice article on it on his website.

http://www.atomvoyages.com/articles/improvement-projects/356-build-the-atom-6-5-dinghy.html

Brian Zinser