[Public-List] Dinghy for A-30

Bill Woodford via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Jul 23 07:28:54 PDT 2014

US11 is on a mooring and currently I have two dinks for her.  I picked up a
small 7-8' fiberglass tender from Craigslist that rows reasonably well and
tows very well.  Even though this boat is capable of holding three adults,
I would not put three adults in it unless we wanted to swim.  If I am going
to the boat myself, I use this dink.  It is solid yet  I can lift and move
it myself.

I also have a large 12' inflatable with a 15 hp engine.  On race nights, we
use this dink to get the crew to the boat.

I have towed both for an overnight cruise.  I do not like towing the
inflatable and will not tow it with the outboard still attached to the
dink.  Feels like I am dragging an anchor.
The fiberglass tender tows well but its load carrying capacity is limited.

My suggestions:

Borrow a dink for a weekend and haul it with you and see if it meets your
needs.

Identify how you are going to be using the tender and buy/build accordingly.

Half the fun is looking.

Woody

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 9:30 AM, Greg Bover via Public-List <