[Public-List] First time at the Syronelle

Dominic Amann dominic.amann at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 08:24:40 PDT 2014

Your story was very instructive. It fits with my own experience and a
general theory of mastery. There are three stages along the growing mastery
root with respect to accidents.

1. Learning - competency is low, but attention is very high, so accidents
do occur, but not as often as one might think.

2. Competent - one has become confident, the basics are all known,
attention starts to drift, accidents happen.

3. Mastery - along with the basic competence, one has had a minor mishap or
two, and has learned "constant vigilance".

Of course, tiredness can cause accidents even in stage 3.

Personally, I am more nervous as a passenger with drivers who have never
had an accident - and especially with those who think they are very good
drivers.