[Public-List] Dingy paint

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Mar 23 12:17:32 PDT 2014

David,

On 3/23/14, 12:41 PM, Amy & David Swanson wrote:
> All -
>
> My new Jamestown Distributor  catalog came this week, and in it there
> is a picture of a young girl painting the trim of a dingy whose sides
> are painted like Van Gough's "Starry Night"  This got me thinking,
> since I have a young daughter who is a decent artist & a spare
> fiberglass dingy in need of repair & paint sitting ion my back yard.
>
> So, if one wanted to paint a dingy topsides in something other than
> one or two primary colors, and not spend a fortune on paint, what
> would you use?  I used some Interlux product years ago to paint a
> dingy, maybe Brightside, but buying a bunch of colors & trying to mix
> them would be too expensive for this project.  I am assuming artists
> paints would not stand up to the weather & water.  Any ideas?  Or
> suggestions of where else to look/ask?

Take a look at paint tints. These are super-saturated with pigment for
mixing into a base paint to color it.

I've heard that the base paint is different from white paint. I suppose
that it has less white pigment, so that you can get a more saturated color.

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?s=5e5bf5429876dac5539a67a09e73ffbe&showtopic=113491#entry2996962
suggests that you can use off-the-shelf tints, though Interlux
(http://www.yachtpaintforum.com/adding-tint-to-brightside-polyurethane_topic1155.html)
seems to recommend against it. It might be worth an experiment. See
http://www.customgheenoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19917 for
perspectives on the Interlux party line.

My thought is that with a handful of tints, you could create just the
right amount of all the colors you need.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org