[Public-List] Rudder needs some love

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Mar 31 06:37:05 PDT 2014

Hello -

I do - stand by a moment while I get their contact info.   I was in San
Diego for my Tall Ships America board meeting in January and visited
them.... Will send you the contact data shortly.

If your rudder doesn't have straps, it might have drifts or long pins that
run through holes bored edge-wise in the flat timbers.  That's the old
fashioned way to build a wooden rudder and might have been used in your
case.

Gord #426 Surprise

On 29/03/14 11:48 AM, "GregR" <gregr at nethere.com> wrote:

> Gord,
You wouldn't happen to know someone here in San Diego that knows wood
> boats? It would worth it to pay an expert to take a quick look. Most of the
> guys in the yard acted like they had never seen a woodenp rudder.
It is
> clearly soaked through. There were two sets of horizontal stiffeners. These
> were eaten by worms. I don't see any evidence of the metal straps shown in the
> pictures on the website. I don't see any worm damage on the
> blade.

Regards,

Greg
These