[Public-List] Rudder covering

Bill Newman newman423 at rogers.com
Sat May 3 08:34:36 PDT 2014

The rudder on #233 appears to be wood, maybe magohany with probably a fibreglass resin covering with no cloth.  Each spring there are small pieces of the resin breaking loose which I fill with expoxy putty and sand smooth.  I suspect that the problem is that during the sailing season water is getting inside the covering and during winter storage in the Toronto area, it freezes and expands, cracking the coating.

My question is has anyone else treated this problem and found a reasonably permanent cure without it becoming a massively difficult or expensive project.  Any wood I have seen seems to be quite sound.  It think that the present covering should be removed and recovered with either fibreglass resin or expoxy.  Any suggestions or comments will be welcome.

Bill Newman
Marion Rose #233
newman423 at rogers.com