[Public-List] Spar urethane over epoxy glaze

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sun May 11 11:06:06 PDT 2014

Good day John -

There will be no problem with bonding - but you would certainly have a
problem with UV resistance if you are using clear polyurethane.

As I reckon you know, epoxy has virtually no resistance and will be broken
down very quickly by UV if unprotected.

Polyurethane paint is safe to use in the sun - but clear polyurethane
finishes are not so good (despite what some manufacturers claim - good ones
don't claim good UV resistance)   What makes polyurethane worth using is
it's hardness which makes it good where sandy feet etc are likely to abrade
it like cockpit gratings and cap rails.  In order to protect it from UV,
it's a very good idea to cover it with real varnish.

The best clear protection for epoxy is good marine varnish.

Now that I've had my rant about clear finishes - if it's paint you are
talking about - Polyurethane is very good over epoxy.

Back I go now to varnishing SURPRISE's cap rails and hatches....

Gord #426 SURPRISE