[Public-List] Stephen - Genoa/Drifter

David Van Denburgh via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sat Nov 22 12:30:27 PST 2014

Stephen,

It sounds like you're describing a drifter, which would likely be built of rip-stop nylon in the 1.5oz range. I've never seen Dacron that is "diaphanous," so you must be describing nylon. Drifters are great sails and work well in the wind range you describe. They are typically full hoist sails, which means the luff is almost the full length of the headstay, and they typically have a slightly higher clew than a genoa, which enables them to be sheeted nicely off the end of the boom (or a pole) when sailing downwind, although it doesn't have to be set up this way.

I built a drifter for our Cape Dory 36 several years back, and I've been very happy with it. It works well through a variety of wind angles. It can be set on the headstay or flying free (I've removed the original hanks on ours and now set it flying  because I added roller furling). It's easy to hoist and douse, and it is easily stuffed in a sail bag or sail locker. You can choose virtually any color combination your desire, too.

Here's a link to a video of the drifter in action aboard the CD36, another Alberg design: http://ariel-cd36.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/10444634_10152523296978497_1734775589_n.mp4?_=1?

David