[Public-List] Rudder stuffing box

Glenn Brooks via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Nov 20 06:31:46 PST 2014

Hey John,

I have a none liner boat, Dolce, HullID 318, made in 1968.  Dolce has a rudder shaft stuffing box factory installed.  It is a bronze tube glassed into the hull, with large maybe 2" bronze nut on top.   Periodically - like twice now in 10 years I've taken the nut off and replaced the packing.  I don't get any water inside when I do this.  When I first got the boat the nut was hard to remove and would not screw back down on the shaft.  I cleaned it well, even used a wire brush on a 4" disk sander, then cleaned up the threads with a small triangular thread file.  There was some thread corrosion present from 30 years of sitting below deck etc, and many years weeping.  After cleaning and a bit of grease on the threads, the nut went back on easily.  Both times in the water.

My guess is yours also is factory installed.  Probably identical to mine,

BTW,  the only mod I made was to clean up all the glass work around the bronze tube and add mucho robusto reinforcing glass work to the hull to strengthen the tube where it comes out of the hull.  Seemed like a good thing to do at the time.

Regards
Glenn

Sent from my iPad