[Public-List] Rudder stuffing box

Meinhold, Mike via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Nov 20 09:52:42 PST 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: Public-List [mailto:public-list-bounces at lists.alberg30.org] On Behalf Of John Johnston via Public-List
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:45 PM
To: Glenn Brooks; Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all
Subject: Re: [Public-List] Rudder stuffing box

Hey Glen! - Your description of your stuffing box arrangement sounds identical to what I have aboard Rocinante, except the nut was not threaded on at all, and inspection revealed the mangled threads. I intend to haul out when the lift is available ( busy time of year), drop the rudder rethread the outside tube and replace the nut.
John Boor - I thought about finding a two-piece die to rethread in place but had no luck finding one. Would be a pretty awkward operation with such limited space. I don't think the original rudderstock was modified for the quadrant at all - it just passes through the yoke of it and then is locked in place by bolts.
	Thanks to all

John Johnston
Rocinante
Hull #69