[Public-List] Garboard Drain

Michael Connolly via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Nov 24 16:11:13 PST 2014

Does anyone know when Whitby changed from lead ballast to iron?  Or perhaps the story was that Carl Alberg specified lead and Whitby decided to use iron?

Greg, since the iron "pig" is not necessarily isolated from bilge water intrusion I would hesitate to use rock salt to prevent freezing.  I use RV antifreeze which I believe is much less reactive than chloride and iron. The chlorine ion which is present in an aqueous solution of rock salt is very reactive with iron, causing exfoliation of the iron and eventual expansion of the pig, to a far greater extent than any pure which might seep into cavity around the pig. Just a heads-up.    Michael