[Public-List] Garboard drain

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sat Nov 22 09:13:00 PST 2014

Hello gang -

A job I¹ve been putting off for years is the installation of a garboard
drain plug in SURPRISE¹s keel.  The value of one of these things for winter
drainage is immense.

It¹s not an infrequent occurance to have snow back up water which then
trickles into the boat, where it then freezes in the bilge.  I¹ve seen boats
filled up to the bunks....

Does anyone have a post hull number 400 liner boat with a garboard drain in
a location they like?  If so, could you send me a measurement forward from
the rudder¹s heel casting and vertically up from the bottom of the keel so
that I could knock mine in the same place?

My fear is that I will end up either with the drain higher than it has to
be, or too low, in which case I¹d have to patch the hole and drill
another...

Gord #426 Surprise