[Public-List] Lazy Jacks

Meinhold, Mike J. via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Sep 3 05:59:28 PDT 2014

Michael,
I have -
 Port and starboard, a block on a wire, attached to the mast about 2 feet below the spreaders. When brought to the mast the block is about 2 feet above the tack.
 The lazy jack line is stopped on the stbd side of the boom about 4 feet aft of the tack, runs up to the stbd hanging block , down to a block about mid boom, around the bottom of the boom, through a block port side mid boom, then up to the port block, down to a block 4 feet aft of the tack port side boom, then to a cleat.

 There are port and stbd reefing hooks on the boom. To stow the lazy jack, release the cleat and pull out the port side and bring the lines to the port reef hook.
Then put the stbd side in the hook and tighten up. You have to be aware of the vertical pull countering your downhaul.

To deploy, uncleat, unhook and pull. Make sure your halyard stays on the right side of the lazy jack lines.

This gives you two lines on each side. It would function  better with 3 lines on each side, but that would put too much stuff in the way of reefing.

Sometimes I drop the main in the lazy jacks and put on one tie aft. If it's not very windy this is enough to get into an anchorage, and get anchored or rafted.

Mike
Rinn Duin #272