[Public-List] Overheating diesel engine-- 2 questions or more

Jeffrey via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Sep 11 10:43:58 PDT 2014

Hi Randy,

I'm no diesel mechanic,  but I would address both the thermostat and the
heat exchanger at the same time. You'll need to drain the coolant system
some to test/change the thermostat anyway, so unplugging the heat exchanger
and giving it a good cleaning at the same time makes sense to me.  I don't
think I'd take the risk running strong acid through the system, the
exchanger is easy enough to clean when removed.  And, by actually opening
up the exchanger you may find stuff in there that the acid won't dissolve.
If you are like me you'll motor just a little happier knowing how clean the
exchanger is when you are finished.

Good link on Westerbeke & Univeral heat exchangers.
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/heat_exchanger

When you put everything back together, be careful to properly bleed out all
the air from the cooling system. An air bubble can lead to overheating
quickly.

I would not rule out the external screen on the through hull. Plastic bag
trash can get in there and foul that up.  I removed the screen on water
intake, and just use a straight open through hull, preferring to let the
inboard filter catch debris.

-jeff

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Randy Katz via Public-List <