[Public-List] An honourable duty

edward schroeder via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Sep 29 14:21:13 PDT 2014

Gordo and others. This is indeed a touching story, however When i lowered my mothers ashes into the water they stayed on the waters surface and seemed to annoy other boats in the vicinity.

Ed Schroeder

On Monday, September 29, 2014 9:33 AM, Kris Coward via Public-List <public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:

> Standing back a bit and minding the boat, I happened to glance to windward.
> There I saw what I can only describe as a wondrous sight.  Hove to, SURPRISE
> was fore reaching a bit and the usual boils of gentle turbulence were rising
> in the form of a wake stretching to windward and aft from our starboard
> quarter.  Deep in the water we saw spirals and twists as John¹s ashes
> swirled in our deep wake after coming under the keel.  We were awestruck by
> the drama of what we saw as well as the unexpected beauty of it.   We
> watched in silence as SURPRISE slowly worked herself along leaving the great
> white swirls beneath the surface, which we could see sinking as they
> expanded in dramatic, slowly developing curves.   After a while we cast off
> the weather genoa sheet, the headsail popped over and SURPRISE gathered way
> and sailed away.

Now I'm wishing that I'd hove to, instead of reducing sail and
continuing on a slow reach when carrying out a similar duty on Candy
Cane back in '09.

Sounds beautiful, and I'm glad you were able to honour your friend like
that.

-K

--
Kris Coward                    http://unripe.melon.org/