[Public-List] Biminis and Raising the Boom

Michael Connolly via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Aug 5 09:09:39 PDT 2015

James,
I have heard back from David Terrell. He is OK with sharing information/my photos of his Bimini/Dodger combination with the list.  I am planning on getting with George to get photos/article posted on Alberg 30 Web Site. This might take a few days.

I did have a brief discussion with David this morning and he raised his boom "a few inches" using the original boom slide on the mast enough to achieve his request of a 5' 10" headroom in the cockpit.  No modification had to be done at the original mast/gooseneck juncture.  David did have a new mainsail mfg. at this same time to accommodate the higher boom.

You might see if you can achieve full hoist of your main and see where the boom rests. If there is enough cockpit headroom for you to stand then you are golden. If you fix the gooseneck in place on the mast at full main hoist then use a Cunningham to trim the main luff instead of the original downhaul you can achieve luff tension adjustments without having the boom raise and lower.  Many Alberg 30 mains have been mfg. short so you might just get full hoist with the boom height where you wish to have it to clear your new Bimini.

More on David's arrangement when I can get my photos to George.

Michael #133