[Public-List] Tiller Pilots on A

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Dec 27 07:24:40 PST 2015

Hello again friends...

I've remembered a story from that yacht delivery I mentioned.  I'll keep it
short.

We were bringing a Dufour 31 from Martinique to Toronto via Bermuda and New
York.  At point in the passage up to Bermuda from St Maartin we were
becalmed and decided to motor to run up our batteries while putting some
miles behind us.  I was on watch at night alone, chugging along over the
oily swells.

I was admiring the stars when I noticed the boat start turning gently to
port.  The Autohelm hadn't ever gone off course before so I was curious.  I
watched her swing to see how far we went... We made a complete circle then
resumed our northerly heading.  It never did that again.

Years later when after I was in the Navy I was talking with one of our RCN
submariners.  He laughed and told me we were likely being checked out by a
submarine.  Our service, and probably the USN too, keeps databanks of the
sound signatures of all kinds of vessels as part of defence and
anti-smuggling work.  My colleague told me that the flux gate compass in the
Autohelm was reacting to a couple thousand tons of steel 30' or so below us
gliding by...

I'll never know what it really was, but the Autohelm never did that again.

Gord #426 Surprise

On 2015-12-27, 9:40 AM, "Gordon Laco via Public-List"