[Public-List] Electronic tiller

James Allocco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Dec 31 14:19:56 PST 2015

 Happy News Years to All,

,About tiller pilots, things may be different on the Chesapeake, but when I
cruised Lake Ontario I friend said he would never cruise without a dodger
or an autopilot. I took his advice and I have had a tiller pilot for
probably 20 years I have never had a problem with it. Its does talk to
my Standard Horizon chartplotter and corrects for cross track error when
sailing to a waypoint.  It does struggle heading down wind but at most
points of sail it sails a straighter line then most helmsmen. That is
especially thru when out of sight of land for hours at a time and you must
steer by compass heading.  I don't recall which model I have without going
down to the boat but I believe it is capable for boats up to 45 feet.

The only minor problems to solve when installing it was I needed to raise
the pin that mounts on the tiller so that the tiller pilot is level when
mounted on the cockpit seat.  For that I had a piece of stainless about
3/32" thick x 3/4" wide x 3 1/2 - 4" long.  It was heated and bent such
that it had a 1 1/2" base that mounted on the tiller with (2) #10
screws, then bent forward and up on a 45* angle to approx. 1" high then
leveled off for 1". On the upper level I welded the pin that  tiller pilot
snaps on to( all dimensions are approx. and from memory).

I used it when single handling  from NY City to Oriental, NC and would
never be without one.

Jim Allocco

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Gordon Laco via Public-List <