[Public-List] Ice box insulation

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Feb 5 07:27:07 PST 2015

Hello friends, I added insulation to the inside of the box...

I put 2" of blue foam against the side facing the engine box, (and a quilted
engine room insulation with a foil outer coating on the side of the engine
box facing the icebox)

I then put 1/2" of white foam all around the other sides, the bottom and the
underside of the top.

This was covered with a layer of glass cloth and epoxy... Then white paint.

I know it's not a lot, but it made a marked improvement in the ability of
the icebox to hold ice.  We consider the modification a success.  Critics
have pointed out that the box is a little smaller, and it is, but it's still
quite large enough to hold four blocks of ice, a bag of cubes, and lots of
food and drink.  We considered refrigeration, but decided against adding
that complication to our boats systems.  We value our self-sufficiency and
the workable simplicity of the yacht herself.

Gord #426 Surprise

On 05/02/15 10:19 AM, "Mike Lehman via Public-List"
<public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:

> Has anyone attempted to improve the insulation to the ice box on a liner boat?
> Yesterday I removed all of the cabinetry and counter top on the ice box on our
> boat an found that it was an integrated piece of the liner. There is no access
> between the Œbox¹ and the surrounding liner. I did measure the distance from
> the inside of the box to the outside of the liner and there is only
> 1²-to-1.24² space. Hardly enough room for very much insulation. The ONLY
> insulation I found (and removed) was some cheap white foam under the
> countertop. I am trying to figure out how to improve the efficiency of the ice
> box, but was wondering what others have done? You advice and suggestion are
> appreciated.

~~~_/)_/)~~ Mike Lehman
> ~~_/)~~~

These businesses