[Public-List] Ice box insulation

Brooke Harwood via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Feb 5 09:40:11 PST 2015

Mike,  Good morning.

In Boca Grande, FL at Trish's sister's home with access to a computer.
Easier to use than all my new "toys" .

Of course I am working with a pre liner boat but, in looking at your
measurements, you have a big ice box.  Your 5.7 Cu Ft is about twice what I
have with the new box.  I never measured the old box.  Once I exclude about
1 inch of space between the new box and the hull and the fore and aft
bulkheads, (the article we discussed warned about leaving air space all
around the ice box) and leave about 3 inches on the engine side to access
the carb and the fuel pump on the Gray Marine and install 3 inches of
insulation on the box sides/bottom and 3/8 inch of marine plywood which
sandwiches the insulation (plus 2 inches of insulation on the top I am left
with box of about 2.5 cu ft.  Clearly I will be using a cooler as well.

After insulating the utility room at the house I did learn the importance
of using closed cell spay insulation to eliminate the chance that the
insulation will absorb and hold water.   Have you considered drilling
access holes in walls/floor of your existing ice box (on the liner boats)
and having closed cell foam injected *very carefully* between the walls.
You can then easily seal the access holes.

The comment to your message focusing on external insulation between the box
and the engine is particularly important I think.

Brooke

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Mike Lehman via Public-List <