[Public-List] Public-List] End of 2014

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Jan 6 13:11:43 PST 2015

Hello Dan - your message just got through.  My email provider's spam filter
has begun randomly snatching messages while mischievously letting others
from the same sender through.  Irritating when one is awaiting messages from
friends, disastrous when business messages are at stake.  I hope it's been
fixed and my apologies to anyone who has tried to reach me to no avail.  The
spam filter is called 'Netguard'.  I'd not recommend it.

Yes, Buckley had a crewmember fall overboard and drown.  He described it so
baldly that I had to go back and read it twice to catch that a life had
really been lost.  I don't think he was disrespectful, what I got from this
was that compromises in quality of gear (and crew behaviour) have huge
consequences in a yacht.  This MOB happened in New York Harbour while on an
evening charter...the fellow who died fell overboard when the wire lifeline
he was sitting on broke.   Buckley commented that the sneaking corrosion
unseen under the vinyl of the lifeline killed the man, so did his unsafe
practice of sitting on a wire whose lack of integrity could put him in the
water, so was the reaction of the crew who didn't treat the emergency as an
emergency until it was too late to save the man.

There's that cascade of consequences they teach us about in the Navy....

Gord #426

On 01/01/15 2:59 PM, "daniel joseph walker" <dsailormon at Yahoo.com> wrote:

> I read that many years back. I remember someone was washed overboard and he
> acted like it was no big deal. Correct me if I have "disremembered" that part
> but I was put off by that. Forgot the yard fees.
Dan

George Dinwiddie via