[Public-List] Halyard replacement

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Jan 27 06:29:05 PST 2015

Hello Daniel -

Yes, that is the preferred method.  I sew the end of the new halyard to the
bitter end of the old one... Butt to butt.  Then I wrap rigging tape over it
to secure the connection, but not so much tape as to impair the joint's
passage through the swallow of the sheave box or block.

Then one gently hauls away on the old halyard, feeling for the passage of
the connection over the sheave... And down to deck level again.  Separate
the old from the new, and presto, a new halyard is rove.

Gord #426 Surprise