[Public-List] Mufflers

George Dinwiddie via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Jan 29 16:51:44 PST 2015

Stephen,

On 1/29/15 4:37 PM, Stephen gwyn via Public-List wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an Atomic Four with the usual standpipe muffler.
> I'd like to switch to a waterlift muffler in the port
> locker. I see the piping arrangement:
> http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/Exhaust/
> Which I assume gets wrapped in insulating tape.

I've not wrapped mine, though the exhaust was wrapped with asbestos when
I bought the boat. You can get non-asbestos wrap
(http://amzn.to/1CR8dL4) but I've never gotten around to it. The pipe is
relatively short to the water injection.

BTW, I've done the exhaust pictured in both black iron and "bronze"
pipe, both with standard plumbing fixtures. I didn't replace the black
iron because the pipe failed, but the "bronze" has lasted much better.

I've improved the design slightly by using a Groco hose tailpiece for
the mixing outlet. Instead of brazing, I drilled and tapped at an angle
into the tailpiece. I also sealed all the threads with RectorSeal pipe dope.

> Are there any pictures of where the muffler sits?

My muffler sits in the lower corner of the port cockpit locker. The hose
from the exhaust runs through a hole cut in that bulkhead.

> What brand of muffler have people used?

I don't know what brand mine is. It's a stainless steel pot. It looks
similar to http://www.moyermarine.com/images/694.jpg

> How does it connect to the existing copper exhaust pipe in the port locker?

My hose comes up to an elbow on that pipe. From there out, I think it's
original equipment.

> How does one keep the hot exhaust away from the flammable fuel?

I keep the fuel in the tank. ;-)

> How does the sound level change?

I can't answer that. The previous owner installed the waterlift.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org